If there’s one thing that cooks well in a large batch and is also relatively cheap, it’s lentils. With Amazon acquiring Whole Foods, this got even easier for me, because the 365 Everyday Value line of foods and products is now available through Prime Pantry. (I’ve never personally set foot in a Whole Foods store in my life, but I’ve liked this brand from when I’ve encountered it in others’ homes. But I digress.) Last time I did a major Pantry order, I stocked up on beans and grains (of course there was rice!), and I’ve been summarily impressed.
Anyway, the other day I got a huge hankering for a curry, and with all these lentils I have in my pantry, I figured why not try a lentil curry? I found a recipe from Simple Vegan Blog and decided to give it a go. It was easily one of the simplest curries ever that also turned out to be really insanely delicious. Plus it made so much that I have lunch for the next three days! Here’s my adaptation, of course, with a side of rice.
Easiest Lentil Curry Ever (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils (220 g)
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice (200 g)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (16 oz) tomato sauce (450 g)
- 1 can (16 oz) full-fat coconut milk (150 g)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Cook lentils and rice according to their respective directions. Drain and set aside. (This is the part that takes the longest, since lentils do take a decent amount of time to soften.)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add the garlic and the onion, and cook them over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the tomato sauce, coconut milk and spices and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in cooked lentils and cook further for at least 15 or 20 minutes.
- Serve the lentils over the basmati rice.
- Will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
It truly is the easiest curry ever! And completely vegan, which makes it more accessible to all diets.